When NABA first began ...
NABA began on December 7, 1908, when ten blind men and women came together in an effort to overcome the difficulties of adjusting to their vision loss. Then known as the Albany Association of the Blind, the organization was housed at 105 Lancaster Street, and began to offer social and workshop activities to its members.
These activites generated employment for blind individuals, and the goods produced were sold to help support the growing association. In 1923, NABA relocated to 208 State Street in Albany. Thirty-five years later, in 1958, the Association purchased its current building at 301 Washington Avenue in Albany.
Free Low Vision Education Programs
NABA offers the presentation, Independent Living with Aging Vision. Designed for seniors, healthcare providers, and family caregivers, these popular programs provide information on:
The four leading causes of vision loss in older adults, early warning signs, living with and adjusting to vision loss, caring for persons with vision loss, vision rehabilitation services, available resources, and low vision aids such as magnifiers, adaptive devices and ‘talking’ aids.
Stay Connected with NABA
Sign up for our quarterly newsletter, Brighter Horizons, and see how YOUR support is helping us assist the visually impaired and blind in our community.