NABA began on December 2, 1908, when ten blind men and women came together in an effort to overcome the difficulties of adjusting to their vision loss. Then known as the Albany Association of the Blind, the organization was housed at 105 Lancaster Street, and began to offer social and workshop activities to its members. These activites generated employment for blind individuals, and the goods produced were sold to help support the growing association. In 1923, NABA relocated to 208 State Street in Albany. Thirty-five years later, in 1958, the Association purchased its current building at 301 Washington Avenue in Albany.
With help from Dr. Harry M. Judge, the Albany Association of the Blind opened its Low Vision Center in 1967, offering specialized eye examinations to individuals with vision unable to be corrected by conventional eyeglass lenses.